Sunday, October 24, 2010

Castlevania Lords of Shadow First Impressions (By Nico)

So last week, I was hesitating between this game and Enslaved. However, reviews led me to this choice, and I don't regret it. Now, if you follow the Castlevania series like me, then you know
that Castlevania and 3D aren't exactly on friendly terms. However, thanks to modern day gaming and Hideo Kojima, Konami has finally published a Castlevania game worthy to be called good.
So, in a nutshell, you are Gabriel, a member of the Brotherhood of Light, who is trying to save the world and ressurect his dead wife. This plot is already done before, but Gabriel is a very complex character who you kinda want to know more about. You meet interesting characters, like Zobek or Pan, but one character in particular really annoyed me. Let's just say that a character that is mute, shouldn't talk this much, especially to remind you something that you already know. But, the voice acting is good, which is a plus.
The presentation is bieutiful. Rarely have I seen a multiplatform game be as good looking as this. The environments are detailed and effects (such as rain) leave you with a "wow" moment on your face. Sound is soft when so and epic when to be. In all, Castlevania owns in the presentation department.
One thing that is noticeable is the gameplay, not to go in detail, is God of War style action, but you have access to combos you can unlock and try to use. I personally use these when I can, which is nice. However, one thing you must know is the game is HARD! I felt bad when I died a lot, feeling that I sucked but, I felt glad when everyone else said the same thing. All i'm trying to say is, if you are a fan of the difficulty of old Castlevania games, then you are going to get served here.
I'm trying to beat the game as fast as I can, but it is possibly, the longest action game out there at the time. So far, i'm having fun, and that's the most important feeling to have at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment